activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Motl <>
Subject ActiveMQ 4.x flow control
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 23:01:24 GMT

"In ActiveMQ 4.x flow control was implemented using TCP flow control. The
underlying network connection of throttled consumers was suspended to
enforce flow control limits. This strategy is very efficient but can lead to
deadlocks if there are multiple producers and consumers sharing the same

(taken from

Could you describe more precisely flow control implemented and, especially,
possible deadlocks?

I am working on the problem described by Stefan:

Notice: synchronous send() is used.

I could easily reproduce the described case with ActiveMQ 4.1.1.
But no problem is shown with 5.0.0.

Could you refer to the changes made between the versions that could
correlate with the problem.

Thanks in advance,