activemq-dev mailing list archives

From semog <e.se...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NMS implementation for Websphere MQ using C#
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 17:54:09 GMT

Hi Craig,

I think I understand what I was missing.  You are using the Spring.NET
framework.  That is why I didn't recognize the source file name that you
mentioned.  This mailing list is discussing the development of the Apache
NMS framework.  Now, bear with me, because this may be a bit confusing.  It
sure was for me when I first started looking in to it. :confused:

The Spring.Messaging.Nms framework is different from the Apache.NMS
framework.  As far as I know, their purpose is the same -- that is to allow
C# clients to send messages to a JMS broker such as ActiveMQ.  From the
documentation that I have read, it seems that there is an intention to
replace the current implementation of the Spring.Messaging.Nms library with
the Apache.NMS library.  However, I don't know who makes this decision, or
when it may occur.  When my company wanted to switch to ActiveMQ, I
researched the available frameworks.  The Spring.Messaging.Nms framework
didn't work, and seemed to have too much additional baggage with requiring
the Spring.NET library.  The Apache.NMS framework mostly worked, and began
to work very well after some bug fixes.  Unless you need the rest of the
Spring.NET framework, or if you are like me and only need a good open source
C# client that can connect to ActiveMQ (and now TIBCO), I would recommend
that you use the Apache.NMS framework.  It is smaller, and seems to be much
more stable.  Adding support for an additional provider such as MQSeries
should be pretty straightforward.  I am sure you could use my implementation
for TIBCO as a starting point and replace the TIBCO specific calls with the
MQSeries specific calls.  The Apache.NMS framework is very modular, and
adding support for a new provider is pretty straightforward.  Hiram and I
are in the middle of merging this new TIBCO provider implementation into the
main development trunk.

Browse around the  http://activemq.apache.org/nms/source.html Apache.NMS
site so you can see what it is that we are working on.  This site took me a
while to find, because I was always being redirected to the Spring.NET site.
I am glad I found it, though, because I think it is a simpler way to go for
NMS.

If you want a small sample code that shows how to use the Apache.NMS
framework, let me know and I will post a small sample app that sends and
consumes a simple "Hello, NMS!" text message.

- Jim