activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sending large files with JMS Streams
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2007 06:36:58 GMT
On 9/4/07, Edwin Wong <edwin@atlassian.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to send large files over ActiveMQ using JMS streams. However, I
> am seeing an interesting issue with the broker running out of memory if the
> consumer does not pick up the stream quick enough. I was just wondering if
> there are any ways to set the memory limit on the broker, and for the
> producer to block until more space is available? Has anyone ever run into
> this issue? What solutions are there?

Massive files over JMS are always gonna be tricky; as the
broker/client tend to have to keep them in RAM until they are all
consumed - hence the BlobMessage support.

I'd recommend trying 5.x as its got better memory management; allowing
you to tweak the usageManager setting in activemq.xml along with
supporting spooling to disk to avoid RAM exhaustion

> On a related note, I have looked at the BlobMessage API in 5.0-SNAPSHOT, but
> that requires an out-of-band transfer, which is not what I am looking for.
> Is there anyway to use BlobMessages in-band?

No - the main idea behind BlobMessage is to support out of band
transfer. i.e. use JMS for the reliable load balancing; but use some
file server for the actual transfer of the message payload.

--
James
-------