activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Endre Stølsvik <Apa...@stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Handling XSDs and Spring 2 XML processing etc.
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:44:39 GMT
James Strachan wrote:
> On 6/14/07, Endre Stølsvik <Apache@stolsvik.com> wrote:
>> > The current URI is
>> > http://activemq.org/config/1.0
>> >
>> > it might be better to use
>> > http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core
>> >
>> > then it'd look more natural in spring docs?
>> >
>> > <beans
>> >  xmlns="http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans"
>> >  xmlns:amq="http://activemq.org/config/1.0"
>> >  xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>> >  xsi:schemaLocation="
>> >
>> >  http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans
>> >  http://www.springframework.org/schema/beans/spring-beans-2.0.xsd
>> >
>> >  http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core
>> >  http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core.xsd">
>> >

>> a) Note that you do NOT look like spring in this suggestion. Look at my
>> comments in 1016. The point is that spring, as you can see directly
>> above in your own paste, has as namespace URI a path to the directory
>> _of the instance_ XSD, which means that both are correct URLs. Your
>> suggestion translates to NOT being able to cut'n'paste that into a
>> browser and actually get a 200 back.
>
> That URL actually does work...
>
>  http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core
>
> am just waiting for apache's web cache to update.
>
> The only real difference to spring is spring adds part of the module
> name as an extra directory in the URL - more on this later...
>

>> > or
>> >
>> >  http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core
>> >  http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core-5.0.xsd">
>> >
>> > if folks wanna put a version number in?
>>
>> How on earth should things work if you aren't specific?!
>>
>> See, lots of installations will run on 4.1.2 even when you are releasing
>> version 10.69.84. And I bet there will be differences in the config XSD
>> at that point. So how would this work out when I specify the
>> non-versioned file?
>
> Runtime would always use the bundled XSD in the jar. Your IDE can use
> whatever XSD version you choose (you can easily move forward/backward
> in your IDE).

Read the next reply I did.

(The version in the XML could possibly dictate which parser you use,
hence handle several version of the XSD at the same time, ref. any
Servlet Container).

> So if you think it'd be more consistent we could go from
>
>  http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core
>  http://activemq.apache.org/schema/activemq-core-5.0.xsd

>  http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core
>  http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core/activemq-core-5.0.xsd
>
> ditto for activemq-ra, activemq-jpa et al. I guess the namespace would
> be a tad shorter, at the expense of the URL being a fair bit longer

Doesn't make a huge difference, but I think the latter is nicer.

You could have called "core" for "mq", "amq" or something. Core sounds
like something you have to add something to, or else it'll not work.
Like "kernel" - ain't much of an OS with just the kernel, right?

> The only downside is when folks go to
> http://activemq.apache.org/schema/core it'd actually contain all
> versions of all schemas; I don't know an easy way to fix that :).

But that's just perfect, isn't it?!

Regards,
Endre