activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Motl <>
Subject char signedness
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 07:51:14 GMT

At the moment, 'unsigned char' is used for BytesMessage representation in
C++,  whereas signed char is used in Java, that means the same message will
be encoded differently in Java and C++! I agree that 'unsigned char' (or,
precisely,  uint8_t) is more suitable for 'byte' type in C/C++, but if we
follow JMS standard, we should use 'signed char' instead. The representation
of signed chars isn't a part of ANSI C Standard, but most compilers use 2's
complement, and so Java does.
Hereby, I propose to replace unsigned char with signed one.