activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Motl <m...@orcsoftware.com>
Subject activemq Cygwin build and GPL
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:06:02 GMT

When building on Cygwin, the application is linked against cygwin1.dll
(runtime library). That means you should distribute your code under GPL
(accorging to Cygwin license terms) which is extremely strong restriction.

I have spent few days in a fierce struggle against MinGW, but I haven't
managed to make things work.
I have managed to build activemq-cpp (both statically and dynamically) and
test example under MinGW. More precisely, I build it under Cygwin with
'-mno-cygwin' gcc flag, which excludes Cygwin headers/libraries. But the
example still crashes while running and I really have no clear idea why it
works on Cygwin and doesn't work on MinGW.

Could we add MinGW support as a feature for future release? Otherwise we
aren't able to use activemq-cpp on Win32 without following the GPL licencse.