activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Albert Strasheim" <13640...@sun.ac.za>
Subject Re: c++ profiler
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2007 07:06:02 GMT
Hello all

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nathan Mittler" <nathan.mittler@gmail.com>
To: <dev@apr.apache.org>
Cc: <dev@activemq.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 10, 2007 1:30 PM
Subject: c++ profiler

> Hi everyone,
> The ActiveMQ-CPP team is looking for a C++ profiler that will work on
> Linux
> and OS X.  I was wondering what the APR team uses and if there is a
> profiler
> that is freely available to Apache members.  Any info would be much
> appreciated.

These are all Linux-specific, but I've had good experiences with all of
them:

GNU gprof

Callgrind/KCachegrind
http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/show.cgi

oprofile
http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/

All the tools will probably need you to compile with -g to get useful line
numbers out. gprof also needs some other compiler flags (check the man
page).

Don't know if this is still valid, but gprof might have issues with
multithreaded applications:

http://sam.zoy.org/writings/programming/gprof.html

Cheers,

Albert