activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Hiram Chirino <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Doxample: Can we ship it with our code?
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 23:09:47 GMT

On Jan 18, 2007, at 5:50 PM, Oren Ben-Kiki wrote:

> I have just pinged the people in the Autoconf project and they are
> interested in adding this to their archive. This may take a while
> though.

Thanks!

> BTW, AFAIK the main difference between the Apache license and the
> GPL is
> that Apache may be distributed in binary-only form; since my files
> have
> no binary form I don't see how they are incompatible. But IANAL.

Yeah the differences between the two get a bit complex and IANAL too :)

But I think the biggest difference between the Licenses are that
Apache licensed software is a bit more liberal with how it can be
used.  For example it allows commercial companies to make
modifications and redistribute without giving back the changes.
Which is contrary to the GPL philosophy.  In essence the Apache, BSD,
and MIT licenses are more Business friendly.

So I light of that, you might not actually want to Apache License
it.. And that would be OK...

> To solve your problem in the meanwhile, I hereby formally grant you
> the
> permission to change the license line to "... the same terms as the
> Apache server" in your distribution. I trust that would settle the
> issue?

But if you don't mind other folks using your file (even for
commercial reasons), you would just need to also add this to the
header for us to be able to consume it:

    Copyright [yyyy] [name of copyright owner]

    Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
    you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
    You may obtain a copy of the License at

    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
implied.
    limitations under the License.