activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Mittler, Nathan" <nathan.mitt...@sensis.com>
Subject RE: ActiveMQ core test suite
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 15:46:23 GMT
That line between unit and integration tests can be gray sometimes,
especially when you're unit testing things like the transport classes
which require feedback from the broker.  I guess you'd have to make the
decision on a case-by-case basis, otherwise you'd be removing most of
our tests :).

One thing to consider (which would not be a quick fix) would be to move
much of what we do in the setUp/teardown methods up to the
constructor/destructor level of the test classes.  This way allocation
of expensive resources (connections, etc) would only be done once,
rather than once per test method.  This would be pretty painful,
however, so I would opt for any quick and dirty solutions first :)

-----Original Message-----
From: chirino@gmail.com [mailto:chirino@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Hiram
Chirino
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 10:23 AM
To: activemq-dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: ActiveMQ core test suite

Hi folks!

I've been looking at the activemq-core test suite and it keep getting
bigger and bigger and takes longer and long to run.  Ideally tests
should only take like 5 minutes to run.  What do you think we should do
about it?

We are currently forking each test case, so if we could avoid that it
should speed it up a bit.  Any other ideas?  Perhaps we can classify
some of the tests as being only needed for integration testing??

--
Regards,
Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com