activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Endre Stølsvik <Apa...@stolsvik.com>
Subject Re: Switching to ActiveMQ 4.2 to Java 5???
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:55:23 GMT
Hiram Chirino wrote:
> On 11/15/06, Endre Stølsvik <Apache@stolsvik.com> wrote:
>> Hiram Chirino wrote:
>> > Hi folks,
>> >
>> > How do you guys feel about switching the minimum run time requirement
>> > for ActiveMQ 4.2 to be Java 5??  I'm itching to do this since Java 5
>> > has a much better set of concurrent implementation.
>> >
>> > We can keep the 4.1.x branch alive as the Java 1.4 compatible version.
>> > Also I have a feeling that once we switch to Java 5, someone will
>> > figure out how to use retrotranslator to make our Java 5 binaries also
>> > run on Java 1.4.  But I doubt anybody will make any efforts to look
>> > into that until we actually jump to Java 5.
>> >

>> Rather big move for a minor version - why not call it ActiveMQ 5 instead
>> (It'll even align!).
>>

> lol.. good point.  But I'd hate to have big increases without big
> functionality changes especially if the clients are still compatible
> with the 4.x stuff.

It is a rather big _requirement_ change, though?

(And you'll probably introduce some internal changes, and you'll remove
a large pile of code (the down-port of concurrent), and .. so on.. going
from Java 1.4 to 1.5.)

IMHO, the story "ActiveMQ 5 only works on java 1.5 ("5"), while ActiveMQ
4 is the older version that works on java 1.4 (and java 1.5)" would be
rather simple to tell, as opposed to exchanging those two versions with
"4.2" and "4.1".

Particularly since I'll bet that you'll have a rather long maintenance
story going with the "java 1.4" branch afterwards - so this won't be a
small nice little "dot-change", as such.

Don't be too afraid of changing major-versions - other companies
routinely go much further than "one-uping": from 1.4 to 5.0 (:-)), and
2.6 to 7 (Solaris), and 3.11 to 95, 4.0 to 2000, 2000 to 'XP' (!), 4 to
6 (Netscape) and so on!! ;-)
   Tomcat peculiarly went from 5.0 to 5.5 on its java 1.4->1.5
dependency change (which I believe they somewhat regret - that story is
rather difficult to get across without "eh, say again?!"s).