activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Creating a secure connection system and using JMSXUserID support
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 16:08:43 GMT

> On Aug 2, 2006, at 4:35 PM, Sepand M wrote:
>
> > Ok. So from what I've read, we're trying to separate the authorization
> > part from the SSL socket and let the broker handle it.
> > This sounds great. It would take more work (not so great since I have
> > a deadline), but it would be a "proper" solution.
> > From what I know of JAAS, the subject/principals fully represent
> > identity. So attaching them to Connection info would be a good idea.
> > That way, the Transport's job would be to authenticate and the Broker
> > could handle authorization completely. This would also mean that any
> > communication system could be used without having to change the Broker
> > (as long as the Transport can authenticate and create proper
> > subjet/principals).
> >
> > The one thing I will note is that we are changing the ActiveMQ
> > architecture in that currently, the Brokers are doing both
> > authentication and authorization (e.g. The Brokers are currently doing
> > the user name and password validation).
> > I think, however, that this is necessary because without our change,
> > there would need to be a new broker for every new, authenticated,
> > communication system.
> >
> > Please tell me if you agree (in which case I'll start looking at
> > implementation details).
>
> I thought about this some more and wonder if it would be appropriate
> to consider using the full corba csiv2 framework or a reasonable
> facsimile.  I think it would.  Very briefly here is what it gives you:
>
> -both ends of the communication channel have policies specifying what
> they can provide and require for security: they negotiate a common
> policy.
>
> The policy can specify:
>
> - security level of channel (basically unprotected or ssl)
>
> - validation of identity of server and client, by user/pw or
> certificate chain
>
> - validation of identity of user by a variety of mechanisms including
> user/pw, cert chain, and trusting the client.
>
> Perhaps the most important point here is that the identity of the
> user and the client may not be the same: this would typically be the
> case when the client is a broker forwarding messages it got from
> somewhere else.  Here the ssl connection with client certificates
> would be used to establish the identity of both brokers but the user
> who originated the message would also be communicated and used in
> authorization decisions.

Seem like a bit of overkill but the whole separating the identity of
the user from the identity of the connection bit is interesting.
Could something similar be accomplished if each message was signed by
the user before it was sent into the messaging system?

--
Regards,
Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com