activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Creating a secure connection system and using JMSXUserID support
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 13:44:02 GMT
On 8/2/06, ngcutura <ngcutura@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I started another thread, unaware of this one, with the same aim.
>
> http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=5583011&framed=y
>
> So please allow me to share my views on this.
>
> If we are going to use SSL and SSL's built in client authentication, then I
> would use JAAS to authenticate the user via certificate. I would use LDAP to
> store and verify certificates and I guess It would be fairly easy to
> implement. There is already LDAPLoginModule and I implemented
> LDAPAuthorizationMap - cerificates should not be much harder.

Sounds good!

> The outcome of successful SSL client authentication should be authenticated
> Subject with all Princiapls set. This I woud put into ConnectionInfo - no
> need for DN or username. When AMQ has authenticated Subject, it can perform
> authorization in any of the existing ways. That is, we can safely separate
> authentication from authorization modules as long as AMQ gets Subject from
> the authentication process.

agreed.

> What I miss here is the point of Subject creation. If we totally rely on SSL
> for authentication we actually need an implementation of truststore
> (keystore with trust manager) that would verify client certificate and
> create login Subject. However, as this process is totally hidden from AMQ (I
> think that truststore and ConnectionInfo instance are unaware of each
> other), we would need another store (directory) to temporarrily save Subject
> and make it avaliable to AMQ once the connection is created. Or, if there is
> a way for truststore to interact with ConectionInfo instance, this problem
> is solved.

I'm not familiar with the SSL details to get this done, so I may be
talking alot of BS here....  But it sounds like your saying that we
need associate our keystore with the SSL layer.  But we want to store
our certs in LDAP.  And right now those two layers would communicate
via a ConnectionInfo object.  So I would say that in this case the
user is authenticating/logging in earlier than in normal cases.  since
he is authentcating at connection setup time, I think you would need
to do the JAAS log in when the connection is estbalished.  And attach
the JAAS subject to the ConnectionInfo.

--
Regards,
Hiram