activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Virtual Destination changes
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:48:07 GMT
> Sounds good.
>
> Does virtual topics will fit ServiceMix requirement for WS-Notification
> clustering ?
> Currently, one problem is that if you deploy the same WS-Notification
> consumer on several nodes, they will not act as a single consumer with load
> balancing between the consumers.  It seems to be the exact need :)

Exactly! I'd not thought of that use case - my bad.

Basically JMS durable topics suck as they only allow 1 thread globally
to consume from a logical subscription - whereas with virtual topics
we can run many threads in many JVMs in a cluster consuming from the
virtual topic using a queue per logical subscription and so supporting
load balancing, failover and so forth.

> I will raise a JIRA so we update the WS-Notification component to use
> virtual topics, once we upgrade to AMQ 4.1.

Great!

I wonder could we also use Message Groups as well by default? Am
wondering if there's an easy way to partition the messages on the
topic to perform some kind of sticky load balancing. i.e. is there any
value of JMSXGroupID we could think of to set by default to increase
parallelisation but preserve ordering.

http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/message-groups.html

e.g. maybe the producer ID - then at least all messages would be
ordered for a single producer when using WS-Notification plus we'd
have load balancing and failover etc

--

James
-------