activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <>
Subject New refactored STOMP implementation.
Date Sun, 02 Jul 2006 04:34:17 GMT
Howdy STOMP developers,

Just wantted to let you know that I spent the day doing some major
refactoring to the STOMP server side protocol implementation in ActiveMQ.
The previous implementation did all the work inside a WireFormat layer.  The
poll model that it imposed made some things difficult to do and made the
code just ugly.

I refactored it so that StompWireFormat takes the STOMP frames and produces
StompCommand objects which are like a 1:1 mapping (Perhaps I should rename
that to StompFrame).  Then the stomp transport factory sets up the
TcpTransport to be filtered by a StompTransportFilter which converts the
StompCommand/Protocol into the ActiveMQ commands and Protocol.  Since the
Transport is more event based and is also aware of the transport lifecycle,
it should let us continue to extend and add more features to the STOMP
protocol easier.

I implemented this in a new package so that we can easily switch back to the
old implementation if needed.  Out of the box we are now using the new
implementation.  But I'd like to get some feed back to see if it introduced
any new bugs or if it fixed any old bugs.  If all goes well, I'll get rid of
the old version soon.