activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Dhawan, Vikram \(LNG-DAY\)" <vikram.dha...@lexisnexis.com>
Subject RE: message ack timeout question.
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:51:50 GMT
Hey James,

Thanks for the response, it make sense.

Sorry about the empty thread, subject line was dropped in the first one
so I thought I should add it and sent it again for better readability.

I have noticed another thing though.

If I have few messages in a queue (lets say 10) and bring consumer-1 up.
If I don't call receive still consumer-1 locks all the 10 messages (and
shows in the Dequeue count in JMX console). And now if I bring another
consumer-2 and calls receive consumer-2 doesn't get any message.

Even if I haven't received any message in consumer-1 and all the
messages are still new.

Please advice.

Thanks!

Vik

-----Original Message-----
From: James Strachan [mailto:james.strachan@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 11:30 AM
To: activemq-dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: message ack timeout question.

I just responded to the other empty thread - thought I'd resend my
reply...

On 7/27/06, Dhawan, Vikram (LNG-DAY) <vikram.dhawan@lexisnexis.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding receive/acknowledge model in AMQ.
>
> If there are 2 consumers (running on separate machines) connected to
AMQ
> server on the same queue. Consumer-1 receives a message and don't send
> acknowledge. Is consumer-2 will be able to receive this messages ever
> without consumer-1 explicitly disconnects from the AMQ server.

No - consumer 2 will not receive the message until consumer 1
terminates (or is disconnected from the broker).

At some point we could add some kinda inactivity timeout in consumers
so that if they grab messages and don't process them we silently
disconnect the consumer (so they give their prefetches back).

--

James
-------