activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Bish, Tim" <Tim.B...@Sensis.com>
Subject RE: ActiveMQ-cpp, Stomp, Openwire - need guidance here - newbie newbie
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:32:19 GMT
Comments inline:

> We need a MOM that provides C++ API support (ActiveMQ does this ...
but i
> am
> a bit confused on ActiveMQ-cpp, stomp and openwire). I am running into
> questions like why openwire would replace stomp, activemq-cpp says it
is
> swappable for both protocols.

Openwire is the native protocol that AMQ uses.  Stomp is an extension
that is simpler protocol which can be used to communicate with the AMQ
broker.  Its not going to be as efficient as an client that uses
Openwire, but it much simpler so you can generally be up and running
with it much quicker.

Here's the Stomp Page from the ActiveMQ site.
http://www.activemq.org/site/stomp.html

What the ActiveMQ CPP client page actually says is this:
"ActiveMQ CPP is a C++ API to JMS/MOM implemented currently using Stomp
but we hope to have an implementation using OpenWire soon."
There currently is no support for openwire in activemq-cpp.  There is an
openwire-cpp, but I can't speak to how wells it works, someone else
whose used it will have to chime in on that.

> What we intend to do in our application is we would be building a C++
> layer
> to talk to ActiveMQ and then we would be generating code on the C++
layer
> for different languages (Java, Python, .Net etc) using Swig. Ours is a
> service bus created mainly for the reasons of performance, integration
> etc.

There are already clients for ActiveMQ using those languages, see the
connectivity section on the AMQ site.
http://www.activemq.org/site/connectivity.html

> Can somebody guide me on how i should proceed on these areas. I am a
> complete newbie to ActiveMQ and want to run some samples to get a feel
of
> how ActiveMQ works (consider C++) only.

You should probably start buy running through the using activemq section
of the website and just get familiar with it from the Java side of
things, then look at the various client API to see how they integrate
into the picture.
http://www.activemq.org/site/using-activemq.html

> Please guide me on how to proceed.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Lalit Nagpal
> --
> Stomp%2C-Openwire---need-guidance-here---newbie-newbie-
> tf1990634.html#a5462797
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - Dev forum at Nabble.com.

Timothy A. Bish
Sensis Corporation