activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Mittler" <nathan.mitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: STOMP and JMSType
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 20:50:54 GMT
Could you guys point me to a place in AMQ where this sort of thing is being
done?  That would save me a lot of searching =)

I'm viewing this problem from the client side - the Stomp C++ client that
Tim Bish and I are writing currently supports text and bytes messages.  So
when I get a stomp frame in, I need to map it back to a text or bytes
message.  We chose to do this for a couple of reasons: 1) to give JMS users
a familiar interface and 2) to provide a simple interface for reading and
writing text messages (e.g. xml).

With that said, I'm not seeing how I can do that mapping if the transformer
is provided only in the SUBSCRIBE.  A client could potentially get a variety
of message types from a single subscription.  I think it would have to be
part of the MESSAGE frame, rather than the SUBSCRIBE.

Here are the use cases I see:

Client->Server
1) SEND\n...\ntransformer:text (client tells server it's a text message)
2) SEND\n...\ntransformer:bytes (client tells server it's a bytes message)
3) SEND\n...\ntransformer:default (client tells server to use content-length
to make determination)
4) SEND\n...\n (no transformer specified - same as #3)
5) SEND\n..\ntransformer:bob (client gives server unknown transformer - use
default)

Server->Client
1) MESSAGE\n...\ntransformer:text (server tells client it's a text message)
2) MESSAGE\n...\ntransformer:bytes (server tells client it's a bytes
message)
3) MESSAGE\n...\ntransformer:default (server tells client to use
content-length to make determination)
4) MESSAGE\n...\n (no transformer specified - same as #3)
5) MESSAGE\n...\ntransformer:bob (server tells client to use unknown
transformer - use default)

Does this make sense, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Nate