activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: [discuss] Improvements in release info for next RC
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:02:58 GMT
Great idea! Thanks for volunteering :)

BTW we've a wiki page that describes the migration issues as well as
new features in 4.0 for users coming from 3.x here...

Then each release usually gets a release note like this, which has
some of the things you suggest - though there's lots more good ideas
you've mentioned we should add

The thing thats really missing is including all this documentation
inside the distro. I'm more worried about sorting out the
Apache/Confluence issue - e.g. am really hoping we can install Pier's
confluence plugin to keep a static HTML site in sync with confluence,
then we can clean up the layout & CSS and then maybe do a wget/copy to
include all the HTML inside the distro.

On 3/23/06, John Sisson <> wrote:
> Trying to put myself in the shoes of a user who is not heavily involved in the project..
> IMHO, in RC2 we should aim to improve the information included with the release so users
can quickly get up and running.
> Also we should try to provide similar information that other ASF projects provide in
their releases.
> Such as:
> * Migration notes (e.g. change of package names for users who currently are using the
codehaus version, anything else that they must know to migrate to this release from older
> * Notes in the README.txt file pointing users to where they can see the release notes
(preferably included in a RELEASE-NOTES-4.0-RC2 file (like what Geronimo has in the 1.0 release)
> * Have sections in the release notes covering the following topics (See Geronimo 1.0's
for an example)
>     - Overall Project Status ( a lot of users will not know what the incubation stuff
in the STATUS file is all about)
>     - Certification Status (is this a relevant topic? Is there a test suite from Sun
we use other than the J2EE TCK in Geronimo?)
>     - Significant changes since the previous release (a summary of main new features/improvements
>     - Significant Missing Features
>     - Known issues
>     - Security warnings (is there anything the user needs to be aware in relation to
security - do they need to tighten it up)
>     - Warnings about non-production libraries included in ActiveMQ (e.g. a beta version
of Jetty)
>     - Specific Issues, Features and Improvements fixed in Version 4.0-RC2 (an extract
from JIRA's release notes)
> Comments?
> Regards,
> John