activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discuss] Improvements in release info for next RC
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:02:58 GMT
Great idea! Thanks for volunteering :)

BTW we've a wiki page that describes the migration issues as well as
new features in 4.0 for users coming from 3.x here...

http://activemq.org/Changes+in+4.0

Then each release usually gets a release note like this, which has
some of the things you suggest - though there's lots more good ideas
you've mentioned we should add
http://activemq.org/ActiveMQ+4.0+M4+Release

The thing thats really missing is including all this documentation
inside the distro. I'm more worried about sorting out the
Apache/Confluence issue - e.g. am really hoping we can install Pier's
confluence plugin to keep a static HTML site in sync with confluence,
then we can clean up the layout & CSS and then maybe do a wget/copy to
include all the HTML inside the distro.

James

On 3/23/06, John Sisson <jrsisson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Trying to put myself in the shoes of a user who is not heavily involved in the project..
>
> IMHO, in RC2 we should aim to improve the information included with the release so users
can quickly get up and running.

> Also we should try to provide similar information that other ASF projects provide in
their releases.

> Such as:
>
> * Migration notes (e.g. change of package names for users who currently are using the
codehaus version, anything else that they must know to migrate to this release from older
releases)

> * Notes in the README.txt file pointing users to where they can see the release notes
(preferably included in a RELEASE-NOTES-4.0-RC2 file (like what Geronimo has in the 1.0 release)

> * Have sections in the release notes covering the following topics (See Geronimo 1.0's
for an example)
>     - Overall Project Status ( a lot of users will not know what the incubation stuff
in the STATUS file is all about)
>     - Certification Status (is this a relevant topic? Is there a test suite from Sun
we use other than the J2EE TCK in Geronimo?)
>     - Significant changes since the previous release (a summary of main new features/improvements
etc.)
>     - Significant Missing Features
>     - Known issues
>     - Security warnings (is there anything the user needs to be aware in relation to
security - do they need to tighten it up)

--

James
-------