activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Getting Geronimo to use an upcoming ActiveMQ 4.x release and the activemq-gbean & activemq-gbean-management modules
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:25:22 GMT
Hi John,

On 3/23/06, John Sisson <jrsisson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cross posting to dev@geronimo so the Geronimo team is involved in
> discussions regarding ActiveMQ integration, as I don't think the missing
> gbean support in ActiveMQ 4.0 has been discussed on the Geronimo dev list.
>
> The missing gbean support was a surprise to me as I wasn't expecting
> ActiveMQ 4.0 to be missing the functionality that it had in ActiveMQ
> 3.2.1 currently used by Geronimo.  I was expecting 4.0 to almost be a
> drop in replacement, except for the change of package names.  I was
> hoping to play with a 4.0-RCx release with Geronimo.
>
> I am concerned about Geronimo staying with a 3.2.x release when it has
> been mentioned that 4.0 should be more stable and a number of bugs in
> 3.2.x have only been fixed in the 4.0 code.
>
> Hiram, when you have an idea of the effort required to implement the
> GBeans support ActiveMQ 4.x let's discuss time frames for Geronimo to
> moving to an ASF hosted ActiveMQ release.

I just took a stab at porting the old gbeans to 4.x and everything is
compiling now again.  So I think for 4.x we should have at least the
same level of crappy integration that 3.x had.  I'm hoping we can do
better though.  I started to test with Geronimo 1.1 and I've him my
first big issue.  ActiveMQ 4.x depends on activeio 2.1 which is not
compatible with the version Geronimo uses.  So I think I'll work on
upgrading activemq to use activeio 3.x which CAN be concurrently used
with the version Geronimo uses.  I would just upgrade Geronimo's
security module to use the 2.x or 3.x but activeio's interfaces are
still not pinned down and I want to avoid other folks from breaking
next time it changes.

Regards,
Hiram

--