activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Mittler, Nathan" <nathan.mitt...@sensis.com>
Subject RE: AMQ C#/C++ client refactoring suggestion
Date Mon, 06 Mar 2006 12:51:49 GMT
Hi Mats,
One thing to keep in mind is that we're going to start merging our efforts in the future (at
least on the C++ side).  I believe that means (please correct me if I'm wrong) that what is
currently the openwire c++ client will eventually be extended to support other protocols (such
as Stomp).  If that's the case, adding protocol-specific marshalling methods to the Commands
may get hairy.  Perhaps rather than the marshal/unmarshall methods taking an OpenWireFormat
object, they could take a more generic type, such as a ProtocolFormat, for example?  This
way, the Command interface could be reused across protocols and the higher-level code could
eventually be reworked such that it doesn't care about which protocol it's using.

Regards,
Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: Mats Forslöf [mailto:Mats.Forslof@portwise.com]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 7:05 AM
To: activemq-dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: AMQ C#/C++ client refactoring suggestion

The marshalling is currently done by a set of stand-alone objects inherited from BaseDataStreamMarshaller
or BaseCommandMarshaller. An alternative design would be to let each command itself be marshall
aware, that is, have them implement a marshalling interface that has two methods; marshal
and unmarshal. One of the parameters to those methods would be OpenWireFormat, the command
calls marshall/unmarshall on the OpenWireFormat object for each command attribute. OpenWireFormat
then performs the actual marshalling by a helper class called DataStreamMarshaller and depending
on what the OpenWireFormat attribute "tightEncoding" is set to OpenWireFormat calls either
tight or loose marshalling.

The benefit of this would be less code and the control of tight/loose marshalling is done
in one place.

Please let me know what you think, I may have missed something that makes this unsuitable.

Regards,
Mats