activemq-dev mailing list archives

From "Ning Li" <Ning...@businessobjects.com>
Subject RE: improve master/slave topology
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2006 18:50:58 GMT
Bulk synch is a good idea, I think we can find a way to do it in current
system, like create a topic and every message comes in will be sent to
that topic, when the secondary comes up, it can pull those messages. Or
we can find other ways to do it.

One difficulty is we cannot pause the primary broker, it is hard for the
secondary to catch up with both the historic and ongoing messages, I
think there is a timing issue in it. I guess that is why James
recommended pausing the primary broker.

I am not sure if we can find a way to do both dynamic synch and bulk
synch at the same time in the current system that will be great.

Thanks.

Ning
-----Original Message-----
From: sridharkomandur@gmail.com [mailto:sridharkomandur@gmail.com] On
Behalf Of Sridhar Komandur
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 9:59 AM
To: activemq-dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: improve master/slave topology

I like the idea of broker-broker synchronization. One of the  issues to
resolve is how reliable this synch activity needs to be ? A
transactional
approach is too heavy weight for the common case.

I think a middle ground based on TCP may be good enough. We can divide
the
synchronization into two phases:
- dynamic synch : messages are sent to the partner on an ongoing basis
- bulk synch: a new secondary comes up and its state needs to be brought
up
to par with primary

Thanks
Regards