activemq-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ and ServiceMix reports
Date Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:17:42 GMT
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> On 3/15/06, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>

>> Do these really have to be "Apache" credits accumulated?  Let's do a
>> hypothetical situation.  Let's say that some guy puts in a few years of
>> his life into a CodeHaus project.  Then, he has a kid.  At that time the
>> project moves to ASF and he's MIA.  Is it fair that he doesn't get
>> commit karma when it graduates?  IMO, no, it is not fair.  Is it fair
>> that he does not make it into the project PMC?  Yes, it is fair, IMO.
>>
>> Not providing commit karma seems to be a bit like forced retirement
>> because of inactivity.  Something that ASF frowns upon.
>>
>> Let's do another scenario.  Someone works very long and hard on one
>> component of the project.  That component becomes very mature and rock
>> solid so, we really don't hear from him very often.  Is it fair that he
>> doesn't get commit karma when it graduates?  IMO, no, it is not fair.
>> Is it fair that he does not make it into the project PMC?  Yes, it is
>> fair, IMO.
>>
>> Not providing commit karma seems to be a bit like forced retirement
>> because he completed the task that he set out to do.

I agree with Alan that it is only fair that significant contributions
prior to incubation should be recognized.

IMO, only active participants during incubation should be invited to an
existing project's PMC when graduating.

For those that are offered commit access it should be explained that
commit access is a privilege, not a right and they should be pointed to
the community rules.

I like Ken's words on the "commit access is a privilege, not a right"
topic in the last two paragraphs of the following mail in 2002:

    http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-general&m=104217311311925&w=4

What do we have to lose giving past contributors commit access
considering the ability to veto commits or as a last resort have their
commit access suspended or revoked if they don't respect the
community/rules?

I agree that keeping the barrier low to past contributors as Garrett
says below is beneficial to the project.

John