activemq-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ Graduation From Incubator
Date Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:02:31 GMT
On Mar 13, 2006, at 8:16 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Alan,
>
> Others are commenting on the infrastructure issues still on the
> plate for
> ActiveMQ.  And, yes, migrating out of JIRA is a PITA.  Jeff is
> proposing
> that we end up running lots of JIRA instances because we have to
> pull in
> several sets of JIRA imports from atlassian, codehaus, and
> elsewhere.  I
> have no idea when Atlassian will support single project imports
> from JIRA as
> it does from Bugzilla.

I agree it is important to have as much as possible on apache
hardware.  It was my understanding until I read this thread here,
that infrastructure was fine with leaving JIRAs for imported projects
hosted remotely until the JIRA had a better import tool.  With the
new possibility that Jeff Turner laid for an import, I think we
should work on having one big import for everything that is moving or
has moved from codehaus.  This would let us grab the ActiveMQ,
ServiceMix, OpenEJB, and XBean jiras.

As with the other issues here, this is a NEW possibility that I for
one wasn't even aware existed until John brought it up.  I don't
think we should hold this against the AMQ community.

> On the community side, we're still a bit shy of Mentors on ActiveMQ
> (James
> is the only one, and we are looking for at least 3 per project),
> and the ASF
> community building is only just getting started.  No PPMC, yet, for
> which we
> need more Mentors.
>
> There has been some concern about growth rate within the Incubator.
> Requiring 3+ Mentors to help oversee projects puts a natural, but
> scalable,
> limit on our growth.  In the meantime, we have some growing pains,
> because
> projects are already here, and lack the resources.

I understand this concern and agree with the solution, but we should
remember that AMQ entered the incubator before this was a rule, so I
for one didn't think it appled to them, since they are so close to
graduation.  Anyway, I think we can easily get a few more people to
be mentors.  I certainly will volunteer, but I don't think I qualify
due to the member restriction.

-dain