ace-users mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: [feedback] hurdles when working with ACE
Date Wed, 27 Jan 2016 16:46:46 GMT
Hi Bram,

> On 26 Jan 2016, at 10:03, Bram de Kruijff <bdekruijff@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> 1) OSGi Repository support
> […]

Completely agree on this.

> 2) Improved/pluggable storage.
> […]

Completely agree on this.

> 3) Task oriented UI (on ReST)
> […]
> IMHO the webui is way passed it's expiration date. It's non-intuitive,
> it's unreliable, it's old technology, again doesn't scale and it just
> doesn't look sexy.
>
> I would suggest to extend/improve the ReST API and build a nice modern
> web interface against that. IMHO that ui should be way more task
> oriented, support users with searches (across repositories) , actively
> guide them with respect to configuration (required/supported tags etc)
> and resolver status etc. Probably it would have different (role based)
> perspectives.

I agree that the current UI is a bit outdated and I like the idea of a
task oriented UI. It might nicely align with our ideas of redesigning
the client (read: the four column-based model).

> Finally, I think that in general we should focus more on
> easy-of-use-out-of-the-box. So.. documentation yes, but why don't we
> just have a number of common resource processors (zip/metatype/...) in
> there by default?

Fair point; aside the usual suspects of metatype configuration and binary
blobs (ZIP files), what other artifacts do you see?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

My world is something with Amdatu and Apache

Luminis Technologies
Churchillplein 1
7314 BZ  Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 00