ace-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Logging system documentation?
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2015 06:06:30 GMT
Hello Colin,
On 17 Aug 2015 at 20:31:04, Colin Cooper (colin.cooper@cognitran.com) wrote:

Can someone point me at any documentation or examples regarding writing to
the logging/audit mechanism?
Not really beyond the code. It’s one of the things we should definitely improve upon.

Conceptually the mechanism allows you to log messages that will automatically be replicated
to the server. You can have one or more separate logs or FeedbackChannel services as they
are called (check out the org.apache.ace.agent project). A message consists of a type (int)
and a map of key/value pairs. ACE by default creates one such channels called “audit”
that it uses to send various changes in the life cycle of the framework (bundles being updated,
started, etc.). Through configuration you can add new channels, or you can use new message
types on the existing channel. In general I would recommend using your own channel for the
use case you describe below.

Another project to look at is org.apache.ace.feedback.common which contains an important part
of the API for the “audit” log that ACE uses (defining message types and standard keys).

On the server each feedback channel ends up in a store that is also configurable to have one
or more stores. For each it publishes a LogStore service (see org.apache.ace.log and then
the server.store subpackage). Which allows you to read back those events on the server.

The use case is that client code running in a target should be able to log
specific events, which would subsequently be visible at the server.
I think the description above roughly covers your use case. Feel free to follow up with more
specific questions.

Greetings, Marcel