ace-users mailing list archives

From "Robert M. Mather" <robert.mather....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can't connect from Agent on Karaf client
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2015 02:17:52 GMT
Thanks for your guidance Marcel.

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 3:43 PM, Marcel Offermans <
marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:

> Hello Robert,
>
> On 14 Feb 2015 at 20:26:01 , Robert M. Mather (robert.mather.rmm@gmail.com)
> wrote:
>
> I'm new to Ace and considering it for a production deployment with a couple
>
> hundred targets that might scale to thousands in the next few months. I'm
> assuming it's production ready for that sort of scenario?
>
> Yes.
>
> At the moment, I'm having trouble connecting from the Agent bundle running
> on Karaf (installed via feature.xml generated by the maven-karaf-plugin,
> see below).
>
> It seems that plugin fetches artifacts from Maven Central, and our current
> releases are not published there anymore. That is why you end up with
> 0.8.1-incubator releases which are really old and should not be used.
> Instead, please use the artifacts from the latest binary release. I assume
> that a lot of the other problems you have come from the fact that you are
> working with these old versions.
>
> The agent is now a single bundle, so there is no need to make a feature
> out of it (org.apache.ace.agent.jar).

I've tried loading that jar from the Karaf deploy folder, and the Agent
bundle becomes active, but I can't figure out how to configure the
discovery/identification properties so it will connect to my Ace server.
Does the Agent bundle have a PID I can use with the Config Admin?

> I would actually recommend you start with the launcher
> (org.apache.ace.launcher.felix.jar), which bootstraps the Felix framework
> and this agent and then install all of your other bundles via ACE.

I'd definitely prefer starting this way, but I've been using Karaf due to
the service wrapper  to bind startup to the client OS (critical for our
deployment) and features, which are the easiest way I've found to include
non-OSGi-bundle dependencies in the container. Just starting from Ace and
Felix is there a straightforward way of resolving the dependency trees of
3rd party libraries and "wrapping" them into bundles? This is extremely
easy with features and the karaf-maven-plugin, which searches the
transitive dependencies of a library, includes what's needed in the feature
descriptor xml, and handles "wrapping" any non-osgi dependencies it finds.

> I'd appreciate any guidance on how to debug this! Using Ace would be so
> much nicer than rolling my own to do the same thing!
>
> The (new) agent has an option (-v) to start in verbose mode. That means it
> will output all internal logging to the console, which is usually a good
> starting point for diagnosis.
>
> Greetings, Marcel
>

> Thanks for helping along an OSGi/Ace/Karaf newbie!

Best, Robert