ace-users mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: Kick ACE agent
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:44:33 GMT

Hi Philipp,

On 20/11/14 09:48, Bulu wrote:
> Is it possible to kick the ACE agent to perform a sync/update when
> one wants (eg. through gogo shell). This would allow me to keep the
> auto sync time long, but still manually trigger an update when I
> know it is needed.

Sounds like a very legitimate use case, and perfectly feasible with
Apache ACE. The easiest way to solve this is to create a custom Gogo
command that uses the DeploymentHandler from ACE's AgentControl
service to do the upgrade. To get an idea of how the implementation
might look like, take a look at the `checkForUpdate` method in [1]
(which takes an alternative approach by using a custom AgentController).

> Is it possible to associate a description with a target ID. My IDs
> are basically serial numbers, which are not much help to identify
> the target in the Vaadin GUI. A user chosen description would much
> help.

At the moment this is not implemented, simply because we didn't have
any requirements for that. Without any changes in the code, the only
thing you could do is add more information through the tag-editor, but
this still requires you to open up all targets to see what information
is in there. I agree that this might be helpful in case of
non-informative target IDs, so you are welcome to create a JIRA issue
to request this functionality.

1.
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ace/trunk/org.apache.ace.agent.controller.itest/src/org/apache/ace/agent/itest/CustomStandaloneAgentControllerTest.java

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

/My world is revolving around INAETICS and Amdatu/

Luminis Technologies B.V.
Churchillplein 1
7314 BZ   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 00