ace-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Defining start level for OSGi bundles
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2014 08:01:41 GMT
Philipp is correct, it’s an anti-pattern to *rely* on start levels for ordering the sequence
in which bundles start. Some background and explanation can be found here [1]. This is also
why ACE has no direct support for them: it should not ever be necessary to have them from
a deployment aspect. Still, there are ways to make start levels work, as indicated below.

I am curious, Jochen, what exactly is your use case?

Greetings, Marcel

[1] http://www.planetmarrs.net/start-levels-in-osgi/
On 20 Oct 2014 at 9:46:02 , Philipp Buluschek (djbulu@gmail.com) wrote:

Requoting Bram De Kruijff on this mailing list 22/09

> - how can I assign a bundle start level to a bundle deployed by ACE?

No, you can not as it is not covered by the specification. You could
probably make it work using resource processors and/or a customized
agent. However, in general start levels are considered to be an
anti-pattern, so you should not use them anyway

Regards Philipp

On 20.10.2014 08:46, Walz, Jochen (ext) wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Apache Felix allows to define start levels for OSGi bundles (felix.auto.start.1=...).
When bundles are deployed with ACE, is it possible to define the start level for each bundle?
I haven't found something in the documentation so far.

> Kind Regards,
> Jochen
>
> Knorr-Bremse Systeme für Schienenfahrzeuge GmbH
> Sitz: München
> Geschäftsführer: Dr. Robert Wassmer (Vorsitzender), Rolf Härdi, Dr. Peter Radina,
Dr. Ralf Voss
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dr. Dieter Wilhelm
> Registergericht München, HR B 91 181
>
> This transmission is intended solely for the addressee and contains confidential information.

> If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately inform the sender and delete
the message and any attachments from your system.
> Furthermore, please do not copy the message or disclose the contents to anyone unless
agreed otherwise. To the extent permitted by law we shall in no way be liable for any damages,
whatever their nature, arising out of transmission failures, viruses, external influence,
delays and the like.