ace-users mailing list archives

From Bram de Kruijff <bdekrui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Remote target configuration with ACE
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2014 08:38:21 GMT
Hi Philipp

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Bulu <bulu@romandie.com> wrote:
> Dear ACE users
>
> I have a test setup running with a target and (allinone-)server. I'm using
> the server GUI to interact with the target.
> I have the following questions regarding ACE. :
> - when the agent gets installed on a framework which already has running
> bundles, is it possible to retrieve the information, which bundles are
> installed and update them using ACE? Can I also uninstall bundles which have
> not been provisioned through ACE?

No, the agent can only manage (update/uninstall) packages of resources
resources that it has installed itself in a previous deployment. ACE
is build around the OSGI Deployment Admin Specification (see
Compendium Ch 114).

> - how can I assign a bundle start level to a bundle deployed by ACE?

No, you can not as it is not covered by the specification. You could
probably make it work using resource processors and/or a customized
agent. However, in general start levels are considered to be an
anti-pattern, so you should not use them anyway ;)

> - how can I choose the initial frameworklevel to which the framework should
> start (on next startup)?

Yes, the standard launcher allows you to specify a config file that
can hold system properties in the form of 'system.<systemprop>'. So
you should be able to do this by adding
'system.org.osgi.framework.startlevel.beginning = 3'.

> - for specific bundles which are provisioned by ACE, is it possible to
> define ConfigAdmin properties and update them later? How should I do this?

Yes, with the help of the Auto Configuration Resource Processor (see
Compendium Ch 115) , you can provision ConfigAdmin properties in the
form of Metatype files (see Compendium Ch 105). Also you are free to
use any format you like as long as you write a Resource Processor that
can handle it.

> - with respect to the above - except for the server URL which obviously is
> needed on startup, can I configure the agent remotely using the ConfigAdmin
> method above (ie. set the identifier, the update interval etc.) after it was
> installed?

No, not by default. However, the Agent does expose itself as a
service. This allows you to write custom bundles that can manage
configuration aspects of the agent.

Best Regards,
Bram