ace-users mailing list archives

From Damien Martin-Guillerez <damien.martin-guille...@iqspot.fr>
Subject Re: Questions on ACE
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2014 07:54:17 GMT
Hello,

I just give partial answer for that.

On 24 Apr 2014, at 08:57, Philipp Buluschek <djbulu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Initiated with my question on SO (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23243609), I have
tried the ACE demo and have found it very good. I would like to clarify whether the following
things are possible with it, and if not whether you think that a modification of the sources
could (easily) be done to support that.

> My use case: I will have several hundred embedded systems running Felix which must be
kept up to date. I will probably have few (maybe 4) different "distributions" (ie. applications),
each on many of those systems. Here are my questions:

> Can I put targets (ie. the machines to be updated) into groups, so that I can easily
deploy a new version of a distribution to a large group of targets?

At iQSpot, we use ACE in conjunction with Oopscode Chef to do such a thing (an unfinished
explanation is here: http://developer.iqspot.fr/2014/archi-part-1/).

> Can I configure when the update takes place - ideally some time in the night (when the
users don't use the system) with a large jitter (so the server is not overloaded all at once).

Well I don’t think it is possible alone, but you can modify tags on target with the REST
API and so instrument it whenever you want.

> Can I configure locally (on the agent) whether it should update?

As far as I know, you can configure the update interval. You should also be able to trigger
the update function (thought I haven’t look how to do it) using Gogo shell script.

> Can I update the OSGI framework itself from ACE?

I think it is possible in the 2.0.1 version but I don’t know for sure.

> Thanks & regards
>  Philipp

Regards,
 — Damien