ace-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: How to keep ace performance consistent
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:44:36 GMT
Hello Bram,

On 09 Jan 2014, at 11:55 am, Bram Pouwelse <bram@pouwelse.com> wrote:

> The issue with the deploymentversionlimit is when I re-configure the
> deployment version limit after using Ace for a while.

From re-reviewing the code I still do not see a problem, even when reconfiguring the limit,
it should be applied every time a new version gets added to that repository. Can you describe
the steps to reproduce this issue?

> I noticed that the
> repository file was growing over time [1] and wanted to know if that was
> causing the performance degradation and if there is a way to keep it from
> growing that fast ;).

You can. This 'deploymentversionlimit' is one. Roughly, the deployment repository keeps track
of all versions of deployments for each target, where a deployment lists all artifacts. So
its size is rougly: targets * versions * artifacts. That is also why it can grow quite quickly.
From this formula it's easy to see how to limit its growth. Having less targets or artifacts
makes little sense, those are givens, but having less versions does make some sense, which
is why we introduced that limit.

Another parameter to tweak is (and now I risk confusing you) to limit the number of old versions
of the deployment repository to keep around. As you might have seen, every time you make a
change, a new version of the deployment repository is calculated and saved on disk. All old
versions remain on disk as well. There is a configuration option that you can set for each
repository, in the org.apache.ace.server.repository.factory configurations called "limit"
which allows you to set the number of old versions of the file it should keep for that repository.
Now this only saves you disk space, since ACE does not do anything with these old versions
anyway, except keep them around as a record of what has changed over time. You don't always
need that record, which is why we introduced this option.

> If it's (currently) not possible to configure the deploymentversionlimit
> after you start using Ace I'll start over with a clean server and see how
> that works out.

It should work. Let's work together to find and fix the issue.

> I've watched the presentation Jago and jou did after you mentioned it in an
> earlier thread on this list and I'm already experimenting with it to see
> how this works out for us.

Let me know if we can help. The gogo shell is not always the easiest to understand. I would
be happy to share what we have if that helps you.

Greetiings, Marcel