ace-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: ace setup
Date Thu, 19 Dec 2013 15:35:59 GMT
Hello Marco,

On 18 Dec 2013, at 14:03 , Marco Westermann <MarWestermann@gmx.de> wrote:

> I think about using ace for automated deployment of my osgi bundles. First of all let
me say that its a great idea to have such a software platform like ace.

Thanks for the kind words!

> But nevertheless I have some problems in how to setup ace the "proper" way. At the moment
we use nexus and upload our bundles with mvn deploy. Furthermore we use features to group
our bundles. In karaf we use the features: commands to install the bundles from nexus.

That sounds like a pretty common scenario.

> At the moment I think of deploying the bundles to ace obr by jenkins but I cannot find
any information how I would do that. Also I miss informations in how I would deal with snapshot
/ relase versions.

Both good questions… and I admit that we can still improve our documentation, so keep asking
such questions!

Deploying bundles to an OBR:

Here you have different options. In your case, you’re already using Nexus, which can act
as an OBR itself. One option you have is to leverage that and use Nexus with ACE.

Another option is to use a shell script, using the GoGo shell, to deploy bundles from the
CI build to an OBR. A colleague and me recently did a presentation on that at the latest OSGi
Community Event. You can find it on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S_zvgG_MLw

That presentation also talks about dealing with snapshot and release versions, so I recommend
you take a look at it.

> What I really would appreciate is a real world example in how to setup ace with all participating
stakeholder:

> developer
> CI-Server
> testserver
> productionserver.

The video touches on some of these topics as well, but I can imagine there will be a few questions
left. There are also multiple ways of doing this, so again, keep asking here. At our company,
we use ACE pretty much in the way that is described in the video, and we develop our OSGi
applications using Bndtools and Eclipse. Test and production servers are all running in the
cloud.

Greetings, Marcel