ace-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Starting implementation of the Apache Ace
Date Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:47:47 GMT
Hello Ghania,

On Sep 11, 2013, at 2:51 , ghania ferrag <gferrag@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I’m glad to read your response, thank you very much. When I didn't get a response a
thought you found my question too stupid :)

> With no delay I’ll clarify my previous post as I had new requirements from our Customer
departments.
> The New UI that now I’m working on, should just have 2 panels. One will display the
distributions and the seconds the Targets (and the Targets definition same as Apache Ace,
for now, just 1 type of target).
> For the distributions Panel, it will have 2 buttons, one to load the existing distributions
from Apache Ace server and the 2 button is to add new distribution from file System as you
do when you upload  artifact and add it to the Artifacts panel.
> The raison we omit the Artifacts and Features panels, is because the users of this new
UI are not IT guys, and found the UI apache Ace complex for them to use.

What is interesting is that when we originally designed the UI for ACE, we had in mind that
there would be different roles. These roles are connected to permissions and also dictate
which of the columns of the UI you would be able to see. One of these roles was quite similar
to the one you describe: a person that can associate distributions with targets, but does
not know the internal structure of these distributions.

Granted, we did not completely implement those roles and permissions yet, but did write some
stuff down about them:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACE/Permissions+and+Roles
http://ace.apache.org/dev-doc/requirements/roles.html
http://ace.apache.org/dev-doc/requirements/use-cases/ (some of them are related to these roles)
http://ace.apache.org/user-doc/useradmin-ui.html

> So I thought the quickest way to develop this new UI is to use the Apache Ace Rest client,
to get the data from the Apache Ace server.

Well, the REST, WebUI and GoGo Shell are all built on top of a client Java API. At least I
would say the WebUI might be a good starting point, but it's definitely also possible to use
the REST API (which is probably less powerful compared to the client Java API).

> I’m having some issues with the ACE REST client API. I had mentioned those issues in
an other post and I’ll not bring them here to not confuse other users when they read.

I'll try to respond there.

> Thank you very much for your response and your help is much appreciated.

You're welcome!

Greetings, Marcel

> My Best Regards,
>
> Ghania Ferrag
>

> ________________________________
> De : Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl>
> À : users@ace.apache.org; ghania ferrag <gferrag@yahoo.ca>
> Envoyé le : mardi 10 Septembre 2013 3h00
> Objet : Re: Starting  implementation of the Apache Ace
>

> Hello Ghania,
>
> Sorry for the late response, I just got back from holiday, so I'm catching up. :)
>
> On Aug 28, 2013, at 19:13 , ghania ferrag <gferrag@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>> I just started working with Apache Ace, so I’m quite new to ACE and OSGi.
>>   I’m working on a task where we have to cover the configuration of an Apache ACE
server and the client connected to the server for updates.
>> In the UI of the Apache Ace server at the right we have the list of the targets,
for my case we have to display list of servers in a cluster, and for each server all the clients
(that will be the targets to receive the distribution) connected to this server.

> Just so I understand you correctly: you have two types of targets:
>
> 1) Servers.
> 2) Clients (where each client belongs to a server).
>
> Both types of targets get provisioned by ACE?
>
>> The requirements that I have needs a modification of the target list of the Apache
Ace web Gui. Any advice where to look for, and which part of the source code package that
I have to use?

> What functional change would you like to make? The web UI code is in one bundle, it interacts
with the ACE client code, which is in another bundle. Where you should start depends a bit
on the changes you want to make.