ace-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Minimising ACE's file size
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:18:20 GMT
Hello Dan,

Before he went on a short holiday, Bram committed the first working version of the new agent.
It is still too big, but with this setup we have a good starting point to start minimizing
it.

One area that immediately comes to mind is the dependency on commons-codec of which we use
only a tiny bit. If someone could hunt down those few bits where we use it and perhaps replace
that whole library with just a class or two, that would be a good starting point.

There are definitely some more things that can be stripped like this, but this one is probably
the easiest.

Greetings, Marcel

On Aug 29, 2013, at 10:18 , Daniel McGreal <daniel@redbite.com> wrote:

> Hi Marcel!
> I would be delighted to be able to contribute to these efforts, in any way. Is there
any document of your intended strategy or steps taken so far I could read? I found https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-347
(which is marked as resolved) and I will take a look at the svn commits.
> Is there a timeline for the next release?
> Many thanks for your time,
> Dan.
>
> On 29 Aug 2013, at 09:04, Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hello Dan,
>>
>> On Aug 28, 2013, at 17:57 PM, Daniel McGreal <daniel@redbite.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm developing an application within the confines of 5.4 megabytes of storage
space.

>>> I'd like to use the ACE management agent within this application, but the storage
requirements are prohibitive. Can anyone offer any suggestions through which I could repackage
the agent to minimise the jar's disk usage?

>> We are currently working on a full redesign of the management agent, where one of
the focus points is to make it a lot smaller. That work is currently being done in org.apache.ace.agent
in trunk, so you might want to check that out. It's not done yet, we still have to eliminate
some dependencies to get the size down, but the basis we have there now lends itself better
to doing that.

>> All in all, this is coming, and I hope it makes the next release. In the mean time,
feel free to give us some feedback on this new version!