ace-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Simple Ace questions
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:06:25 GMT
Hello Ryan,

On Sep 4, 2013, at 6:28 , Ryan Moquin <fragility2.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had read that at some point there
> should be a way to switch out the OBR repo that is used by ACE, I didn't
> think that was possible as of this point, but it sounds like it is.

The coupling between ACE and the OBR is very "loose". In the end, if you have an artifact
(bundle, configuration, whatever) the metadata for it in ACE simply points to a URL. So strictly
speaking, ACE does not really need an OBR, if you have any location that you can reach via
a URL, you're good.

That being said, there is one specific case where ACE does require a URL, and that is when
you use configuration files (autoconf) that are templates. Such templates can be filled in
with tags that you set for example on a specific target. By doing so you can provide a generic
configuration and specialize it per target. If you use that mechanism, ACE will generate the
specific configurations for those targets and in that case, it needs to put them somewhere.
This is where it currently uses its OBR, to upload those to, so if you want to use that option,
you need to use the ACE OBR. That being said, that does not mean you need to use it for everything.
You can still keep all your bundles in a Nexus repository, and just use the ACE OBR to store
those filled out templates.

> You
> mean configuration files other than ones meant for the Configuration Admin?
> I heard of autoconf recently and have yet to get a chance to look into how
> it works yet.

Autoconf configuration files are basically XML files that are meant for Configuration Admin.
The format is a bit less legible than the "properties" files that for example File Install
uses, but the upside is that you can easily specify all kinds of data types for your property
values.

> I think ACE being able to use the POM for constructing
> features would be a good idea, I think the Karaf features might be a ltttle
> better, but at this point, whatever is easier, is probably better to start
> with.

Karaf features are modelled slightly different than features in ACE. In Karaf a feature can
include other features. In ACE it cannot. You can of course flatten such structures yourself
when converting Karaf features.

> I'm hoping to wrapping up some work for a presentation I have to do
> so I can delve into one of these things and see where I can help out.  It
> would certainly be great to be able to simplify the process of getting
> things into ACE and setup.

Internally we have really started to use the gogo shell based commands to integrate ACE with
our development setup. We probably need to provide some samples on how that works, but that's
definitely something worth looking into.

Greetings, Marcel