ace-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: [ANN] ACE version 1.0.0 released
Date Fri, 21 Jun 2013 04:47:07 GMT
Hello Ryan,

On Jun 18, 2013, at 3:37 AM, Ryan Moquin <fragility2.0@gmail.com> wrote:

> No problem.  I love all the work that's being done around OSGI and
> especially Karaf.  ACE looks very promising and I'd like to find a way to
> fit it in.  It's not necessarily a gui thing, it's an "anything thing" to
> try to find a way to tie karaf features and ACE together.  It almost makes
> me think that the karaf plugin shoukd have an oprion to deploy to ace
> somehow.

Something like that would indeed be a nice idea. It would certainly help a lot of people using
Karaf. A while ago we looked into supporting the features from Karaf in ACE, but ran into
some issues that made a direct mapping a bit harder. Those have been summarized in an analysis
[1] and bug reports about the lack of life cycle [2] and upgrade [3] support of such features.
That does not mean you could, in most circumstances, take a Karaf feature definition file
and somehow convert it into ACE features (and/or distributions).

> I've dug into that code like most of the rrast and make I could
> try to hook something in, or maybe I could start a separate Maven plugin.

Sounds like a good idea.

> I've been on one of my obsessive major forking and "improving" of Apache
> Cellar (not even sure how the last month has appeared to lead to 8K changes
> tovthe origibal repo).  Hopefully I can wrap that up soon and then maybe
> I'll dtart on a maven plugin or something if that nake sense?  I'm not
> familiar with bndrun but I'll take a look at it.

Its format is pretty straightforward (it's a bnd file) and lists all bundles in a run configuration.

Greetings, Marcel

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACE/Deployment+Admin+extension+-+Multiple+versions+of+same+symbolic+name
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-400
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-399