ace-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: ACE client
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2013 11:22:08 GMT
On Jun 26, 2013, at 10:24 AM, <Wilfried.Sibla@bosch-si.com> wrote:

> With the discussed gogo commands I tried to learn how to use the ACE client java API.
> For implementing our own customized ACE client (containing integration code for out other
services) is it recommended to use the plain java API or to "use" the REST ACE client?

I would recommend using the plain Java API in this case as it is a faster way if you want
to do lots of manipulations (direct method calls vs HTTP calls).

> Starting with using the java API worked quite good for my first steps.

Ok.

> If I would like to use the REST client, or at least the Workspace class, I would have
setup my one project(s) similar to the REST client. It would be nearly a copy of the REST
client, which I have to customize and extend to fit our needs.
> Or what's your recommendation?

If you want to build your own, customized REST client on top of the client Java API, that
is definitely something you can do. I would then recommend to make those commands somewhat
more "high level" so you don't end up making 10 HTTP requests to add an artifact, link it
to a feature and distribution, etc. For building the actual REST client, I would recommend
looking at the Amdatu Web components [1] that have support for JAX-RS and make it a lot easier
implementing REST endpoints. We intend to do that for the REST endpoints already in ACE too
[2].

Greetings, Marcel

[1] http://amdatu.org/components/web.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-326