ace-users mailing list archives

From Bruce Jackson <br...@inqmobile.com>
Subject Re: Ace binary dist 0.81
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 10:22:37 GMT
Hi Bram

Further to the question of yesterday that you cleared up, its not clear how you point the
target to the Ace server. The docs say:

Usage: java -jar ace-launcher.jar [identification=<id>] [discovery=<ace-server>]
[options...]

All known options are:

identification: sets the target ID to use
discovery: sets the ACE server to connect to
agents: configures multiple management agents: agent-id,identification,discovery[;agent-id,identification,discovery]*
fwOption: sets framework options for the OSGi framework to be created. This argument may be
repeated
help: prints this help message
However, with the target.jar this doesn't work. I just get this:

java -jar target.jar identification=MyTarget discovery=http:/myserver.mydomain.com:8080/
____________________________
Welcome to Apache Felix Gogo

g! Started management agent.
  Target ID    : defaultTargetID
  Server       : http://localhost:8080
  Sync interval: 2000 ms
  Unaffected bundles will not be stopped during deployment.

So, neither the TargetID or the Server are being picked up correctly. What is the correct
way to configure the target?

Thanks

Bruce

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Bruce Jackson <bruce@inqmobile.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Bram, thats very helpful.
>>
>> Can I specify the target id for my targets in config files, or are they always auto-allocated?
>>

> Yes you can. By design this is all pluggable and one could employ all
> kinds of strategies. This agent has property based identification &
> discovery that can be set on the command line.
>
> $ java -jar generated/org.apache.ace.launcher.jar help
> Apache ACE Launcher
> Usage:
>  java -jar ace-launcher.jar [identification=<id>]
> [discovery=<ace-server>] [options...]
> All known options are:
>  agents: configures multiple management agents:
> agent-id,identification,discovery[;agent-id,identification,discovery]*
>  auth: point to the properties file containing the authentication
> credentials for a certain subsystem: <dir/file/url>
>  discovery: sets the ACE server to connect to
>  id(?:entification)?: sets the target ID to use
>  bundle: adds an additional bundle to be started with this management
> agent: bundle=my.fully.qualified.BundleActivator
>  fwOption: sets framework options for the OSGi framework to be
> created. This argument may be repeated
>  help: prints this help message
> Example:
>  java -jar ace-launcher.jar identification=MyTarget
> discovery=http://provisioning.company.com:8080
> fwOption=org.osgi.framework.system.packages.extra=sun.misc,com.sun.management
>

> Note that I recently proposed a new agent [0], found in projects
> "org.apache.ace.agent[.launcher]" , that aims to be simpler, more
> configurable and easier to extend. However, that is still bleeding
> edge and not included in the default build yet ;)
>
> greetz
> Bram
>
> [0] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-347
>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> On 15 May 2013, at 18:09, Bram de Kruijff <bdekruijff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Bruce,
>>>
>>> welcome to ACE! :)

page. These are also incorrect: the steps:

binary zip in the generated folder if I build using:

to start everything up, but using common sense, I can go into the server-allinone and run:

>>> Correct, good catch. As you have noticed by now the build has
>>> undergone significant changes and the docs needs some close attention.

the client to point to the server?

>>> The "client" is an infrastructural component just like the "server".
>>> When you start the server-allinone.jar" that actually contains the
>>> "client". This is for convenience as they can also be deployed
>>> independently. What you are looking for is a "target".
>>>
>>> $ cd ../target
>>> $ java -jar target-jar
>>>
>>> Now in the right column of the UI you should see a "defaultTargetId"
>>> appear which means your target is running and ready to receive
>>> deployment packages.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Bram

to download the sources and build your dist of the latest version. There were a lot of improvements
and we try to come out with a new release soon, where we also update the website

getting a binary release, however none of the links to the 0.81 full actually work. If I browse
the archives, I can find a release, but this appears to be a source release. I can try to
build this using mvn install, but after much compiling etc, I'm still left in the dark: I
don't know what its done, or where its actually put the binaries.

and may contain CONFIDENTIAL information. Any opinions or views are personal to the writer
and do not represent those of INQ Mobile Limited, Hutchison Whampoa Limited or its group companies.
 If you  are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, retention,
disclosure, copying, printing, forwarding or dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this  communication in error, please erase all copies of
the message and its  attachments and notify the sender immediately. INQ Mobile Limited is
 a company registered in the British Virgin Islands. www.inqmobile.com.