ace-users mailing list archives

From Bram de Kruijff <bdekrui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ace binary dist 0.81
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 09:37:38 GMT
On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM, Bruce Jackson <bruce@inqmobile.com> wrote:
> Thanks Bram, thats very helpful.
>
> Can I specify the target id for my targets in config files, or are they always auto-allocated?

Yes you can. By design this is all pluggable and one could employ all
kinds of strategies. This agent has property based identification &
discovery that can be set on the command line.

$ java -jar generated/org.apache.ace.launcher.jar help
Apache ACE Launcher
Usage:
  java -jar ace-launcher.jar [identification=<id>]
[discovery=<ace-server>] [options...]
All known options are:
  agents: configures multiple management agents:
agent-id,identification,discovery[;agent-id,identification,discovery]*
  auth: point to the properties file containing the authentication
credentials for a certain subsystem: <dir/file/url>
  discovery: sets the ACE server to connect to
  id(?:entification)?: sets the target ID to use
  bundle: adds an additional bundle to be started with this management
agent: bundle=my.fully.qualified.BundleActivator
  fwOption: sets framework options for the OSGi framework to be
created. This argument may be repeated
  help: prints this help message
Example:
  java -jar ace-launcher.jar identification=MyTarget
discovery=http://provisioning.company.com:8080
fwOption=org.osgi.framework.system.packages.extra=sun.misc,com.sun.management

Note that I recently proposed a new agent [0], found in projects
"org.apache.ace.agent[.launcher]" , that aims to be simpler, more
configurable and easier to extend. However, that is still bleeding
edge and not included in the default build yet ;)

greetz
Bram

[0] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-347

> Best regards
>
> Bruce
>
> On 15 May 2013, at 18:09, Bram de Kruijff <bdekruijff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> welcome to ACE! :)
>>
>> On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Bruce Jackson <bruce@inqmobile.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Christian
>>>
>>> Ok, I've done that now, and built everything using the instructions on that page.
These are also incorrect: the steps:

>>> ant -f bin-build.xml package
>>> and
>>>
>>> $ cd generated/ace-devserver
>>> $ sh run.sh
>>>
>>> do not work, as the file bin-build.xml doesn't exist. However, I do get a binary
zip in the generated folder if I build using:

>>> ant package-bin
>>>
>>> However, the binary this builds also does not have any information on how to
start everything up, but using common sense, I can go into the server-allinone and run:

>>> java -jar server-allinone.jar
>>>

>> Correct, good catch. As you have noticed by now the build has
>> undergone significant changes and the docs needs some close attention.
>>
>>> and can then access the web console at localhost:8080/ace
>>>
>>> I can also go to the client folder and run:
>>>
>>> java -jar client
>>>
>>> However, I never see the client appear in the web console. How do I configure
the client to point to the server?

>> The "client" is an infrastructural component just like the "server".
>> When you start the server-allinone.jar" that actually contains the
>> "client". This is for convenience as they can also be deployed
>> independently. What you are looking for is a "target".
>>
>> $ cd ../target
>> $ java -jar target-jar
>>
>> Now in the right column of the UI you should see a "defaultTargetId"
>> appear which means your target is running and ready to receive
>> deployment packages.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Bram
>>

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Bruce

to download the sources and build your dist of the latest version. There were a lot of improvements
and we try to come out with a new release soon, where we also update the website

getting a binary release, however none of the links to the 0.81 full actually work. If I browse
the archives, I can find a release, but this appears to be a source release. I can try to
build this using mvn install, but after much compiling etc, I'm still left in the dark: I
don't know what its done, or where its actually put the binaries.

and may contain CONFIDENTIAL information. Any opinions or views are personal to the writer
and do not represent those of INQ Mobile Limited, Hutchison Whampoa Limited or its group companies.
 If you  are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, retention,
disclosure, copying, printing, forwarding or dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this  communication in error, please erase all copies of
the message and its  attachments and notify the sender immediately. INQ Mobile Limited is
 a company registered in the British Virgin Islands. www.inqmobile.com.