ace-users mailing list archives

From Bram de Kruijff <bdekrui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ace binary dist 0.81
Date Wed, 15 May 2013 17:09:18 GMT
Hi Bruce,

welcome to ACE! :)

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM, Bruce Jackson <bruce@inqmobile.com> wrote:
> Hi Christian
>
> Ok, I've done that now, and built everything using the instructions on that page. These
are also incorrect: the steps:

> ant -f bin-build.xml package
> and
>
> $ cd generated/ace-devserver
> $ sh run.sh
>
> do not work, as the file bin-build.xml doesn't exist. However, I do get a binary zip
in the generated folder if I build using:

> ant package-bin
>
> However, the binary this builds also does not have any information on how to start everything
up, but using common sense, I can go into the server-allinone and run:

> java -jar server-allinone.jar

Correct, good catch. As you have noticed by now the build has
undergone significant changes and the docs needs some close attention.

> and can then access the web console at localhost:8080/ace
>
> I can also go to the client folder and run:
>
> java -jar client
>
> However, I never see the client appear in the web console. How do I configure the client
to point to the server?

The "client" is an infrastructural component just like the "server".
When you start the server-allinone.jar" that actually contains the
"client". This is for convenience as they can also be deployed
independently. What you are looking for is a "target".

$ cd ../target
$ java -jar target-jar

Now in the right column of the UI you should see a "defaultTargetId"
appear which means your target is running and ready to receive
deployment packages.

Regards,
Bram

> Thanks
>
> Bruce
>
> On 15 May 2013, at 16:52, Christian Vogel <contact@christian-vogel.info> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> the version you want to download is pretty old and it is highly recommend to download
the sources and build your dist of the latest version. There were a lot of improvements and
we try to come out with a new release soon, where we also update the website

>> A HowTo can be found here: http://ace.apache.org/dev-doc/getting-started.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Christian
>>
>> On 15.05.2013 17:25, Bruce Jackson wrote:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> New to Ace but not OSGi. The instruction for getting started suggest getting
a binary release, however none of the links to the 0.81 full actually work. If I browse the
archives, I can find a release, but this appears to be a source release. I can try to build
this using mvn install, but after much compiling etc, I'm still left in the dark: I don't
know what its done, or where its actually put the binaries.

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>

>>> This e-mail is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed and may
contain CONFIDENTIAL information. Any opinions or views are personal to the writer and do
not represent those of INQ Mobile Limited, Hutchison Whampoa Limited or its group companies.
 If you  are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, retention,
disclosure, copying, printing, forwarding or dissemination of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this  communication in error, please erase all copies of
the message and its  attachments and notify the sender immediately. INQ Mobile Limited is
 a company registered in the British Virgin Islands. www.inqmobile.com.