ace-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Using the management interface to deploy distros to targets
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 12:46:08 GMT
Hello Dan,

On Apr 9, 2013, at 14:38 , Dan Gravell <elstensoftware@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> How do I uninstall a distro from an agent? "-" buttons do nothing. "x"
>>> removes a target but then it re-appears, disassociated. Even though it
>>> appears disassociated to the distro the bundles are still installed on
>> the
>>> target.
>>
>> You make associations by drag and drop.
>>
>> Removing them is a bit less intuitive. You select one hand of the
>> association, then move your mouse to the other hand (which should be
>> highlighted at this point) and press the "-" to just remove the association.
>>

> On this, what is the relationship with retrieve/store/revert and
> associating with targets? Are changes only pushed out once 'store' is
> clicked?

Yes.

Apart from the fact that changes are only pushed after storing changes, you can also turn
off "auto approve" for each target. Turning this flag off means that, even though there are
new bundles available for this target, they will not be installed until you manually approve
such changes. You can see this as an extra step/barrier so you can hold off changes and/or
approve them only after consulting with a client about them.

> Also, if I uninstall one distro and install another, I assume only the
> changed bundles are uninstalled/installed?

Exactly. This also means that you can completely reorganize features and distributions. If
the end result is the same, nothing will happen to a target (provided you make these changes
in one go, not storing intermediate results).

Greetings, Marcel