ace-users mailing list archives

From Dan Gravell <elstensoftw...@googlemail.com>
Subject Use of ACE for a consumer application
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:41:21 GMT
Hi. I'm interested in using ACE in my product. I've always had trouble
managing the configuration of my OSGi bundles. I create a new release each
week with a set of bundles updated. Sometimes I add bundles, sometimes I
remove, but quite often something seems to go wrong with the configuration.

What I really want is something that can download the latest distribution
and install it for me, when the user says so. It feels like ACE can do this.

Unfortunately I cannot see much documentation on the site, so may I be
indulged some questions?

- How many targets can ACE scale to? I have over 2000 new users each month,
and probably about 20,000 active users

- How does target management work when users are behind common-or-garden
ISPs with dynamic IPs etc? I don't really care about what each individual
target is running, although it would be a nice feature to be able to
remotely manage a given target. But this would be exceptional (maybe
changing the logging on a particular user's target to diagnose some problem)

- How can this work with an installer? Ideally I'd like to install my
entire product when the user downloads it and not have a two stage
installation

- My app runs a Jetty web server where the Update UI lies... how does this
work with ACE? Do I contact the ACE server API, or interact with the agent
bundles co-located on the same OSGi container?

I use Felix and bndtools btw.

Dan