ace-users mailing list archives

From Dan Gravell <elstensoftw...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Use of ACE for a consumer application
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2013 09:55:53 GMT
Hi Marcel...

> - How many targets can ACE scale to? I have over 2000 new users each
> month,
> > and probably about 20,000 active users
>
> Hard to tell exactly, but we've setup ACE in such a way that you can not
> only create a single server for all the targets, but also create a master
> server with several "relay" servers (which act like proxies) to spread the
> load.

It wasn't just the serving-up of distros I was wondering about... it was
stuff like the UI. One thing that took my notice was the targets column in
the admin UI (the one on the far right). I haven't actually tried it yet so
I don't know if that list is loaded lazily, or what. Does it show all
targets that ever existed?

> It also depends a bit on the number of updates, size of bundles and how
> often these targets poll for changes.

A new distro is produced once a fortnight. The maximum size of a distro is
35MB. I have control over the polling because I think I'll build the update
UI into my app... but I would call the first time the update UI is shown
and then when the user wanted to 'check for updates'.

> > - How does target management work when users are behind common-or-garden
> > ISPs with dynamic IPs etc? I don't really care about what each individual
> > target is running, although it would be a nice feature to be able to
> > remotely manage a given target. But this would be exceptional (maybe
> > changing the logging on a particular user's target to diagnose some
> problem)
>
> Right now, ACE keeps track of each individual target, but it can be setup
> so any new target registers automatically and gets a specific software
> distribution.

What's this feature called and can I read about it anywhere?

> ACE uses a management agent, which polls the server using HTTP. So dynamic
> IPs are no problem, and firewalls usually also not.

When you say 'polls'... any recurring 'poll' can be switched off, right? I
just want to check for a new distro when the user asks for it (for now... I
suppose a Chrome-like dream of fully automatic updates is one to consider).

> > - How can this work with an installer? Ideally I'd like to install my
> > entire product when the user downloads it and not have a two stage
> > installation
>
> That is currently not supported, unfortunately, but it is definitely an
> interesting use case that we should explore. We actually do have some
> support for installing our deployment packages from a local filesystem, but
> we cannot at this point make a seamless switch from local installation to
> remote installation. I would not mind at all putting that on the roadmap
> though.

My concern with two stage installers is that the user will become
frustrated with another wait while the app initialises itself and downloads
its latest code. Maybe it's a false fear. Maybe (I use IzPack) I can just
write a plugin to the installer which contacts the ACE server...

Apps with ACE agents work fine offline, right? I don't want a SimCity style
situation on my hands ;)

> > - My app runs a Jetty web server where the Update UI lies... how does
> this
> > work with ACE? Do I contact the ACE server API, or interact with the
> agent
> > bundles co-located on the same OSGi container?
>
> The management agent by default has an embedded scheduler that
> periodically polls the server. Instead of that scheduler, you can also
> directly invoke the update task from OSGi (it is a service). So your update
> UI could do that, and disable the scheduler.

Any links to docs for this? Or is this 'read the code'?

> I'm sure these answers have triggered more questions, so don't hesitate to
> keep asking! :)

Will do, have done :)

Assume you're at EclipseCon, hope it's going well.

Dan