ace-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: Migration to Java 8?
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2015 08:18:06 GMT
Hi,

I’d like to see the switch to Java 8, but can understand that not all of our users
are able to make this switch as well. Having and option to provide both as Niclas
suggested would make it a lot easier for them to continue using ACE.

> On 02 Apr 2015, at 23:41, Marcel Offermans <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
>
> javac -target 1.7
>
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/unix/javac.html

There’s a potential issue in this approach: not all code compiled this way is
actually usable on a “real” JDK 7 due to the way covariance works. See
<https://gist.github.com/AlainODea/1375759b8720a3f9f094> for a nice example.
I’m not sure this directly affects the codebase of ACE, but we might consider
using a real JDK 7 for this.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

My world is revolving around INAETICS and Amdatu

Luminis Technologies B.V.
Churchillplein 1
7314 BZ   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 00