ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: Support for Celix bundles
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2014 15:05:45 GMT
Hello Bjoern,

On 23 Oct 2014, at 16:13 pm, Bjoern Petri <bjoern.petri@sundevil.de> wrote:

> For those who read on this list and don't know me yet I would like to shortly introduce
myself: my name is Bjoern Petri and I am one of the Apache Celix committers next to Alexander
Broekhuis (which I assume you guys probably know better).

Welcome to this list!

> Partly involved in the Inaetics research project (inaetics.org) I started using Apache
Ace some weeks ago and was quite impressed about how good the deployment of bundles to Apache
Celix already works - I was not expecting this. Nevertheless I experience some bugs(?) which
makes life bit more stressful for me. Although I am aware that Celix does not do everything
the same way as Amdatu or Felix, I hope that we can work on those issues together to get those
things fixed.

Of course. As far as I know, Celix leverages the same deployment packages that ACE also serves
to Felix (or any other OSGi framework).

> A major issue is the compatibility of amdatu/felix and celix-bundles. While uploading
Celix-Bundles via the gogo-shell seems to work fine, the WebUI sometimes just does not work
(see e.g. Jira issue ACE-488). Unfortunately I don't know how to debug those issues - is there
a way to get some more information what is going on underneath without instrumenting the source
code?

A good starting point is to run the "all-in-one" server inside Eclipse (with Bndtools plugin)
and to start debugging there.

My first question is: did you check the log on the server to see what messages you get there?
In ACE-488 you've obviously found a case where the message in the UI could be a lot more clear,
but in almost all of these cases, the log on the server side has more information.

If that does not work, I would start adding breakpoints to the code to single step through
the process. If you need some classes/methods to start, let me know.

I will take a closer look at ACE-488 and comment in Jira if I see anything that helps us diagnose
the issue.

Greetings, Marcel