ace-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Adding Shutdown Hook for Agents??
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2014 08:47:55 GMT
Hi,

A long time ago I was a mentor of this project, and now I am actually using
it in $dayjob application. What goes around, comes around... ;-)

The deployment is happening on Linux 'devices' and we need to support that
the ACE Targets are shutdown via Linux SIGINT (Ctrl-C), i.e. we need a JVM
shutdown hook that do framework.stop(). Fairly simple...

It seems logical that this functionality is part of ACE itself, and I am
adding this at the moment. There are 3 choices on this, and I would
appreciate your thoughts;
  1. The shutdown hook is always present,
  2. It is enabled via command-line arguments,
  3. It is enabled via launcher.properties.

which route should be taken?

I would also like to contribute this back,

  a. I have mostly forgotten how to submit patches with SVN, but recall
that there were often issue with it. Is there a page explaining the exact
details?

  b. We will also make a Linux daemon shell that starts and stops agents,
and in the stop it will both issue the SIGINT and if the process isn't
dying 'soon enough', a SIGKILL will be issued to ensure death and
destruction. Is ACE community interested in making such script part of the
the 'target' ? Or will that forever remain the responsibility of the user
to put together?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer