ace-dev mailing list archives

From Wayne Nelson <wnel...@proofpoint.com>
Subject Scalable and highly available data store
Date Thu, 29 May 2014 22:12:33 GMT
The org.apache.ace.repository.Repository interface is an abstraction over the persistent data
store. However, it doesn't appear to support arbitrary queries. Instead, you must call checkout()
and unmarshal an XML document from the returned InputStream. This means that the entire data
store must be able to reside in memory.

This doesn't seem like it will scale well to hundreds of thousands of targets in a single
data store.

The commit() method uses optimistic locking, which means that only one thread can update the
database at a time.

This seems like we are limited to a single point of failure with a single server serving up
all requests from all agents.

Are these conclusion corrects or did I missing something?

Thanks,

Wayne Nelson l Senior Director Engineering
Proofpoint, Inc.
M: 801-633-0587
E: wnelson@proofpoint.com<mailto:wnelson@proofpoint.com>
<http://www.proofpoint.com/>
threat protection l compliance l archiving & governance l secure communication