ace-dev mailing list archives

From Marcel Offermans <marcel.offerm...@luminis.nl>
Subject Re: Towards a new release and baselining support...
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 12:42:55 GMT
On 13 Nov 2013, at 13:29 , Bram de Kruijff <bdekruijff@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Marcel Offermans
> <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
>> As you all know, a lot of things have happened recently within the ACE project. We’ve
rewritten the complete management agent, added quite a few features to the server and squashed
bugs. With all of this work done I feel we should start working towards a new release now,
but I’d like to get everbody’s opinion and check if there are things we forgot about that
really need to make it into a new release.

> A big question is what we will do with the 'old' management agent. At
> present that code is still scattered throughout several projects. So..
> will we keep supporting it, deprecate it until the next, or purge it?
> I think installed base is low en keeping it around surely will give a
> lot of overhead in maintaining the codebase and moving forward on
> interfaces. For that reason I would argue to purge it.

I agree to purge it, as described in ACE-424 [1].

> What will the (semantic) version of the release be? On the agent side
> it feels like a major.. but that may depend on what we do with the old
> one.

First question is *do* we semantically version the release itself? I think we should as I
see no reason to use a different versioning scheme.

If so, I would be surprised if we don’t end up calling this 2.0.0 as I just broke an API
in a backward incompatible way because I feel it was wrong (an interface extending ManagedService
for no good reason).

Greetings, Marcel

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ACE-424