ace-dev mailing list archives

From Bram de Kruijff <bdekrui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Towards a new release and baselining support...
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 13:01:28 GMT
On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Marcel Offermans
<marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
> On 13 Nov 2013, at 13:29 , Bram de Kruijff <bdekruijff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Marcel Offermans
>> <marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
>>> As you all know, a lot of things have happened recently within the ACE project.
We’ve rewritten the complete management agent, added quite a few features to the server
and squashed bugs. With all of this work done I feel we should start working towards a new
release now, but I’d like to get everbody’s opinion and check if there are things we forgot
about that really need to make it into a new release.

>> A big question is what we will do with the 'old' management agent. At
>> present that code is still scattered throughout several projects. So..
>> will we keep supporting it, deprecate it until the next, or purge it?
>> I think installed base is low en keeping it around surely will give a
>> lot of overhead in maintaining the codebase and moving forward on
>> interfaces. For that reason I would argue to purge it.
>
> I agree to purge it, as described in ACE-424 [1].
>
>> What will the (semantic) version of the release be? On the agent side
>> it feels like a major.. but that may depend on what we do with the old
>> one.
>
> First question is *do* we semantically version the release itself? I think we should
as I see no reason to use a different versioning scheme.

> If so, I would be surprised if we don’t end up calling this 2.0.0 as I just broke an
API in a backward incompatible way because I feel it was wrong (an interface extending ManagedService
for no good reason).

Alright, agreed. So I guess we should think hard on what else we would
like to break within the foreseeable future :)

grz
Bram