ace-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Willem Janssen <janwillem.jans...@luminis.eu>
Subject Re: Towards a new release and baselining support...
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:09:20 GMT

On 11/13/13 10:17 AM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> As you all know, a lot of things have happened recently within the
> ACE project. We’ve rewritten the complete management agent, added
> quite a few features to the server and squashed bugs. With all of
> this work done I feel we should start working towards a new
> release now, but I’d like to get everbody’s opinion and check if
> there are things we forgot about that really need to make it into a
> new release.
>
> One thing I would like to do is to upgrade to the latest Bndtools
> 2.2.2 version and enable support for baselining. Baselining will
> give us a lot of tool support to ensure our code (bundles and
> exported packages) is semantically versioned. To leverage
> baselining support there are a couple of things we need to do:
>
> * We need the to start putting @ProviderType and @ConsumerType
> annotations on all our APIs. In fact, we need to “retrofit” this
> to our 1.0.0 release to ensure the baselining works correctly.
> These annotations are not magically available, but we can add them
> to the global build path (cnf/ext/defaults.bnd).

+1! It is a good thing that we've made our APIs easy recognizable ;)

> * We need to keep a copy of all released bundles (the latest
> version of each) in a repository to baseline against. Because we
> don’t want our build to break when we’re off-line I propose we put
> them in a local repository. We probably need to build those
> artifacts with the Eclipse compiler to prevent problems that will
> otherwise occur because of differences between ecj and javac so:
> checkout with Eclipse, build, collect all bundles from "generated"
> folders and publish them into the releaserepo in cnf. We also want
> to add them to the -deps artifact so people can easily get started
> with a release with baselining enabled.

+1. We need to include a version of ECJ in our build-repository for
off-line builds, but how do we include this in our source releases? We
cannot ship binaries with our source release, but can we use the same
approach as we currently have for the compile-time dependencies?

- --
Met vriendelijke groeten | Kind regards

Jan Willem Janssen | Software Architect
+31 631 765 814

/My world is revolving around PulseOn and Amdatu/

Luminis Technologies B.V.
J.C. Wilslaan 29
7313 HK   Apeldoorn
+31 88 586 46 30